Swans deciding penalties for ‘serious’ standards breach


Sydney Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich. Photo: AAP
The Sydney Swans are expected to soon announce punishments against AFL players over a “serious breach” of club standards related to an alleged hotel incident.
The Swans board met on Tuesday night to decide on sanctions and penalties after concluding its own interviews with “all the players involved”.
It follows a woman making a report to police over alleged sexual assault at the Pullman Hotel in Melbourne early on Monday.
The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their win over Essendon at the MCG, guaranteeing them second spot with one game left before the finals.
Chad Warner, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been widely named in media reports as the players involved in the inquiry, although none have publicly been accused of wrongdoing.
As Victoria Police continue to investigate, the Swans have vowed to take their own action.
Given the seriousness of the crisis and the strongly worded club media release, suspensions appear inevitable.
“We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and any actions we take are independent of this,” the Swans said.
“The club believes the players are in serious breach of expected club behaviour and standards, and it is appropriate to take firm action and highlight that any sanction we impose relates solely to those breaches.
“The club also acknowledges that these serious allegations impact others and their wellbeing must be paramount.”
The club added that any further sanctions or decisions regarding the outcome of the police investigation would take place after that process was completed.
“The Sydney Swans condemn all forms of abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women.
“Any conduct that causes offence or harm to others is unacceptable and falls well short of our expectations. All women deserve to be respected and feel safe.”
Earlier on Tuesday night, AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon released a statement calling for more respect around the sexual assault allegations.
Dillon said the allegations and the conduct of the Swans players were “deeply concerning”.
“While the matter remains under police investigation, it raises broader issues for our game and our responsibilities as a sport,” Dillon said.
“The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected.”
Dillon took aim at widespread commentary about what the allegations would mean for the Swans, who are guaranteed second spot and two home finals.
“Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season,” Dillon said.
“Our first question should not be what this means for a football club. It should be whether our actions match the standards we stand for and the community expects of us.
“As a sport, and as an industry, we are clear about the standards we expect and the values we stand for and the need to uphold them.
“Being clear about our standards also means being prepared to act when those standards are not met.”
Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel, near the MCG, on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








