Liverpool receives audio from VAR communication mishap against Spurs

Referee Simon Hooper viewed a screen before dismissing Curtis Jones, but not for the offiside.

Referee Simon Hooper viewed a screen before dismissing Curtis Jones, but not for the offiside. Photo: Getty

Liverpool has received the audio of the VAR review that led to a Luis Diaz goal wrongly being disallowed at Tottenham.

Miscommunication between VAR Darren England and on-field referee Simon Hooper led to the goal being ruled out in Saturday’s Premier League fixture.

The Premier League game was goalless at the time of the incident, with the Reds going on to lose 2-1.

Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the body which administers officials in the league, acknowledged later that evening that a “significant human error” had occurred.

Liverpool subsequently issued a statement saying it would “explore the range of options available given the clear need for escalation and resolution”.

Its first step has been to seek access to precisely what England and Hooper said to each other which led to the mistake and and the Press Association understands the audio linked to the incident has now been sent to Liverpool ahead of it being released publicly.

PGMOL is currently conducting a review of Saturday’s incident.

It is believed that although England followed the correct procedure in drawing lines, he mistakenly thought the initial on-field decision had been onside.

This resulted in him issuing a ‘check complete’ notice to Hooper, rather than advising of an intervention and the goal being awarded.

Once the officials realised an error had been made, play had restarted and VAR protocols state that once that has happened, there is no way back to revisit a decision.

Liverpool are also understood to be appealing against a straight red card shown to Curtis Jones earlier in the match.

Diogo Jota was also sent off in the second half for a second bookable offence.

England and his assistant VAR, Daniel Cook, have not been selected for Premier League matches this weekend following the Diaz incident.

England was previously replaced as a fourth official for the Nottingham Forest v Brentford match on Sunday and Cook replaced for Monday night’s match between Fulham and Chelsea.

They had been part of a team of officials who oversaw a fixture between Sharjah and Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates on Thursday, arriving back in the UK on Friday morning.

The practice of officials going overseas to referee domestic matches in other leagues has also been called into question.


Topics: Liverpool
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.