Advertisement

Swans face call on whether to stand down players

CEO Matthew Pavlich and Swans bosses face a call on standing down players in a sexual assault probe.

CEO Matthew Pavlich and Swans bosses face a call on standing down players in a sexual assault probe. Photo: AAP

Sydney and the AFL face a decision on whether to stand down several Swans players under investigation over an alleged sexual assault.

Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.

The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG. That victory locked in second place on the AFL ladder and a home qualifying final in three weeks.

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich on Monday afternoon confirmed several players had been involved in an “alleged incident” but refused to say whether any had been arrested.

Pavlich said the club was working with the AFL and relevant authorities but that since it was an ongoing police matter he could not give more detail than that.

“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” Pavlich said.

“But, safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.”

As of Monday evening, no players had been charged in regard to the investigation, which is ongoing.

The AFL is yet to comment on the matter, though its Integrity Unit appears certain to become involved.

Unlike the NRL, the AFL does not have a strict no-fault stand-down policy on players charged with serious offences such as sexual assault.

But the AFL stood down Geelong’s Tanner Bruhn, who ultimately had sexual assault charges dropped, for the entire 2025 season while his case was in court.

Bruhn, who always maintained his innocence, returned to play this year.

If Sydney does choose to stand down players, it will likely become clear well before team selection later this week.

The Swans play North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday.

Sydney is required to name its extended squad on Thursday evening then cut that back to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday.

The Swans then have a week off during the wildcard round before a home qualifying final.

Regardless of the Swans’ decision, the investigation has rocked the club ahead of the finals and cast a shadow over its season.

AAP has contacted the AFL for comment.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Topics: AFL, Crime
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.