Queensland boxer dies after bout



A Queensland boxer who collapsed after a bout on the weekend has died in hospital.

Braydon Smith, 23, had been in an induced coma since the Saturday fight against featherweight Filipino John Moralde at Rumours International Convention Centre.

Smith lost in a unanimous points decision. After praising his opponent and congratulating Moralde on his win Smith returned to his dressing room.

Olympic-style drug testing before mega fight
• Mayweather v Pacquiao: the $250 million cakewalk
Mayweather takes round one against Pacquiao

Despite being alert and responsive after the 10-round fight, Smith collapsed 90 minutes later. He was placed in an induced coma.

It was hoped the induced coma would relieve swelling on his brain, but his life support was turned off on Monday afternoon.

Family representative James O’Shea said Smith, from Toowoomba, died surrounded by family at Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Smith, nicknamed “The Great White”, was in his final year of law at the University of Southern Queensland and was the son of prominent Toowoomba boxing trainer and promoter Brendon Smith.

Mr O’Shea said the past two days had been extremely tough for Smith’s family.

“He really wanted to change the image of boxing,” Mr O’Shea said.

“A lot of times in this country the sport gets a bad rap.

“A big goal of his in life was to show people it’s not [a bad sport].”

He said the massive outpouring of support from the local and wider community was testament to Smith’s reputation.

“So many people looked up to him,” he said.

People using the hashtag “prayforbrayd” have sent messages of condolence on social media to a man described as a “true gentleman” of the boxing fraternity.

Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.