Advertisement

Fuming Andrew Moloney retires after controversial title bout defeat

Andrew Moloney landed far more blows to the head in his controversial loss to Pedro Guevara on Sunday.

Andrew Moloney landed far more blows to the head in his controversial loss to Pedro Guevara on Sunday. Photo: AAP

Australian Andrew Moloney has announced his shock retirement after suffering a controversial loss to Mexico’s Pedro Guevara in their WBC interim junior bantamweight world title bout in Perth.

And in another huge controversy on Sunday’s card, England’s Nina Hughes was awarded victory in her women’s WBA bantamweight battle against Australian Cherneka Johnson – only for the result to be flipped a minute later when organisers realised they had read out the scores in the wrong order.

Moloney landed far more shots to the head in his 12-round bout at RAC Arena and celebrated after the final bell.

But the 33-year-old was left in shock when the judges scored the bout 115-113, 115 -113, 113-116 in a split decision to Guevara that shocked the Moloney camp.

“I felt in total control. I did what I had to do in there tonight to get the win,” Moloney said.

“I don’t want to make excuses, but I went into this fight with a torn biceps, so I couldn’t throw the left hook unless I needed to.

“I didn’t feel like I needed to throw it because I was in total control.

“And, look, I just want to say thank you to Top Rank, thank you to my team for everything you’ve done for me.

“I want to thank my sponsors for backing me over the years because I’m retired. I’m out. I love you all, but sorry, f— that.”

The fight was part of the undercard of the George Kambosos versus Vasiliy Lomachenko IBF lightweight world title bout.

Moloney entered the bout desperate to get one back for Team Moloney, following his twin brother Jason’s defeat to Japan’s Yoshiki Takei in their WBO bantamweight title clash earlier in the week.

He started strongly, landing a series of early heavy blows.

Guevara did well to attack Moloney’s body throughout the bout, but Moloney seemed to land the more telling blows to the head.

But it wasn’t enough to convince two of the three judges, with Moloney glaring at the judges afterwards to express his shock.

Guevara said he would give Moloney a rematch if he wanted it.

“I’d have no problem giving him a rematch,” Guevara said.

There was more controversy in the women’s title bout between Hughes and Johnson.

Hughes was originally awarded the win by majority decision, 95-95, 96-94, 98-92.

But, while she was celebrating, both boxers were called back to the middle and told it was actually Johnson who had won, not Hughes.

“This is a joke,” Hughes said.

“I thought I dominated it.”

Promotor Lou DiBella stepped in afterwards to apologise for the mix-up, saying they “screwed up”.

Johnson, who won the IBF super-bantamweight title in 2022 but lost the belt to Ellie Scotney last year, was over the moon to be awarded the win after the mix-up.

“I’m just glad they figured out the wrong decision,” Johnson said.

The undercard’s heavyweight non-title bout will pit former WBA world champion Lucas Browne (31-5, 27KOs) against Kiwi Hemi Ahio (21-1, 16KOs).

-AAP

Advertisement
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.