Murder charge after woman found dead in luxury hotel

Woman found dead at Perth's Crown casino

A man has faced court over the alleged murder of a woman who was found with serious head injuries in a luxury hotel room in Perth’s casino resort.

Cameron John Pearson, 42, briefly appeared in Perth Magistrates Court on Tuesday dressed in a white boiler suit.

He’s accused of murdering respected lawyer Alice McShera, 34, on Monday at the Crown Towers east of the Perth CBD.

The small courtroom was packed with media and distressed family members and supporters of Pearson and McShera.

Pearson was not required to enter a plea and twice failed to verbally acknowledge that he understood the charge, despite speaking with his lawyer Reid Hogan during the proceedings.

He instead shrugged his shoulders in answer to Magistrate Stephen Butcher’s questions before being led out of the glass-walled defendants’ dock.

Western Australian police were called to Crown Towers about 11.10am on Monday, where McShera’s body was found.

Inspector Geoff DeSanges said McShera had suffered serious head injuries that were believed to have been caused by a blunt instrument.

“It would have been an extremely confronting scene,” he said.

“Our condolences go out to the family of the 34-year-old woman and also we acknowledge the confronting situation the first responders, including the security staff at the hotel, would have encountered upon entering the room.”

DeSanges said Pearson and McShera were involved in a relationship and the incident appeared to be domestic violence-related.

“There appears to have been a passage of time between the woman being injured and police being called,” he said.

“A family member who was seeking to get hold of one of the people in that room had spoken to Crown Towers.

“Police received a call from Crown Towers.”

McShera was a barrister at Perth law firm Murray Chambers.

In a statement, her colleagues said they were “deeply shocked at the terrible news regarding our respected and much-loved colleague and friend”.

“Alice was an experienced and very capable advocate who has been an integral part of the Murray Chambers family,” the firm said.

“The profession will be the poorer for her loss.

“We feel keenly for Alice’s family and friends at this time.”

Pearson was also found in the room and had suffered what police believe are serious self-inflicted injuries.

He was arrested and taken to Royal Perth Hospital for treatment and discharged later in the day after medical staff reported he was in a stable condition.

Crown Resorts previously said its team was assisting detectives investigating the matter.

Pearson was remanded in custody to reappear in Stirling Magistrates Court on November 22.

1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732

Lifeline 131 114


Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.