Advertisement

Shooting accused’s alleged threats to victim

A man is on trial for the attempted murder of his former wife's new partner.

A man is on trial for the attempted murder of his former wife's new partner. Photo: AAP

In a social media post before allegedly shooting his former wife’s new partner, Abil Malovski allegedly threatened there would be a price for everything when the time was right.

“Stop talking about my actions, you haven’t seen my actions yet,” Malovski wrote in a Facebook post which prosecutors allege referred to Steven ‘Stewie’ Grant.

“Stop pressing on my buttons, it’s a very big mistake.”

Malovski is standing trial for the attempted murder of Grant, who was initially diagnosed as a complete paraplegic after being shot five times at a roadside reserve in Melton, northwest of Melbourne, last year.

Prosecutor David Glynn told jurors that Malovski was extremely hostile toward Grant and bitterly resentful of the role his former wife’s new partner seemed to be playing in the lives of their two young children.

Malovski and his former wife had separated in February 2021.

In July that year it’s alleged Malovski became aware of the connection between Grant and his former wife, through access he still had to some of her phone calls and messages.

It’s alleged that Malovski made several phone calls to Grant in July 2021, 10 months before the shooting, calling him a dog and suggesting he was going to “find him”.

In early 2022 he made a series of cryptic Facebook posts, including allegedly referring to Grant as a “pig”.

“There will be a price for everything just when the time is right,” one post said.

“Some people don’t realise when they do a big mistake.”

Grant had never met Malovski.

“He’s still never met him – if you don’t count getting shot by him,” Glynn said.

The day before Mother’s Day last year, the woman and Grant were selling flowers at a roadside reserve in Melton – a tradition started by her father.

Multiple shots

It’s alleged Malovski drove past the reserve and saw the pair, and returned a short time later.

Glynn said Malovski fired multiple shots at Grant, chasing him around the reserve.

One bullet struck his thumb, another grazed his neck, one went through his hat and the final two bullets struck him in the back.

The final bullet landed close to Grant’s spine.

He was left with serious injuries and after initially being diagnosed as a complete paraplegic has made some steps toward recovery.

Jurors heard 11 people witnessed various aspects of the shooting, which was also captured on dashcam footage from multiple passing vehicles.

Grant is among the witnesses expected to give evidence in the trial before Justice Andrew Tinney.

Malovski handed himself in to police two days later, allegedly telling officers he had shot Grant in self-defence.

His barrister will open the defence case on Thursday morning, before jurors are taken to tour the scene.

–AAP

Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.