Advertisement

The Block stalwart steps back ahead of 20th series

<i>Block</i> foreman Keith Schleiger will have a much lower profile in the upcoming 20th series.

Block foreman Keith Schleiger will have a much lower profile in the upcoming 20th series.

One of The Block’s most famous faces is apparently stepping back from the TV renovation show as it gears up for its 20th season.

The Nine Network has confirmed that the renovation juggernaut’s resident foreman, Keith Schleiger, won’t be a full-time cast member in the 2024 season.

Schleiger, known on the show as Foreman Keith, will be restricted to guest appearances when the series airs later this year.

According to statements from Nine, the father of two – who has been a part of The Block for 16 seasons – felt the two-hour commute from Melbourne to this year’s location on Phillip Island was too much.

“With The Block shooting on Phillip Island this year, Keith had to step back from his full-time duties because of his commitment to raising his two daughters,” a Nine spokesperson said.

“He couldn’t come to the island for three months straight. It was literally a bridge too far. But Block fans will be pleased to hear that he has been involved with filming for our 20th season as a special guest.”

Schleiger’s sidekick Dan Reilly will take up the key responsibilities.

Reilly’s Block career began as a contestant on the 2012 series, with wife Dani.

View post on Instagram
 

Phillip Island is a well-known Victorian tourist spot, connected to the mainland by a bridge.

Production is well under way on the latest series of The Block, with fans posting daily updates on social media of the progress of five homes on a one-hectare former resort at Phillip Island’s main town, Cowes.

The land was bought last year for $8.5 million and contestants began arriving at the beginning of March.

This week’s developments come amid reports of tension on the set, however, with multiple reports that one couple has already quit.

“It’s not yet known who has quit the show, but it’s been said that the couple have already been replaced by a new couple. Sounds like chaos behind the scenes in Phillip Island!” blogger Theblockinatorblog wrote on Instagram in April.

The series is expected to screen after the Olympic Games, which run from July 26 to August 11.

Elsewhere, Schleiger has also recently launched his own bathroom and renovation business.

The development was announced on social media at the weekend.

Topics: The Block
Advertisement
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.