Adelaide United and Western Sydney Wanderers level in A-League classic

Adelaide United and the Western Sydney Wanderers have played out a 4-4 draw in A-League Men action.

Adelaide United and the Western Sydney Wanderers have played out a 4-4 draw in A-League Men action. Photo: AAP

Adelaide United and Western Sydney Wanderers have produced one of the all-time great A-League Men matches, playing out a thrilling 4-4 draw at Coopers Stadium.

Adelaide held the lead three times while the Wanderers scored in the 95th minute while they were down to 10 men to snatch a point.

Hiroshi Ibusuki and Brandon Borrello both scored twice, finding the net either side of halftime.

The Reds were denied strong claims for a penalty on 25 minutes when Hiroshi Ibusuki looked to cut inside of Tomi Mrcela.

As he tried to flick the ball past his opponent, Mrcela’s arm made contact with the ball sending it out of play with referee Jonathan Barriero awarding a corner.

United was rewarded with a spot kick soon after when some fantastic hustling from Ryan Kitto resulted in a lofted cross to the back post, where Ibusuki was nudged in the back by Gabriel Cleur.

Ibusuki stepped up and sent Lawrence Thomas the wrong way to record his first goal since November, ending a run of 10 matches without a goal.

On 46 minutes, Wanderers drew level courtesy of a stunning long-range strike from Brandon Borrello.

Oli Bozanic’s free kick rebounded off the Reds’ wall and Borrello collected possession and took a touch before unleashing from 30 metres out, finding the top corner with Adelaide keeper Joe Gauci no chance.

Scores were level for just three minutes as United grabbed a second four minutes into injury time.

Craig Goodwin’s outswinging corner was headed on by Ben Warland and young defender Alex Popovic ghosted in at the back post. Thomas kept out the first effort before Popovic tapped into net with his second.

A minute later and the Reds scored a third but it was disallowed for offside after Halloran drove a low cross into the area for Zach Clough to turn it in at the back post. Replays showed it was a matter of centimetres.

The Wanderers came out firing after the restart and made it 2-2 on 50 minutes with Borrello grabbing his second.

On 63 minutes the visitors took the lead with Adelaide temporarily down to 10 men after Josh Cavallo limped off the pitch with an ankle injury while the game was still alive.

The Wanderers’ lead lasted just four minutes before Adelaide made it 3-3 with Ibusuki also getting his second.

Goodwin played a cheeky one-two with Clough, who fed a no-look return pass for the Adelaide skipper, who lifted a ball to the back post for Ibusuki to head into the net.

United lifted and on 79 minutes were back in front.

The Reds had introduced teenage speedster Nestory Irankunda and it was his cross that led to the goal.

With the ball bobbling in dispute inside the Wanderers’ penalty area, Kitto swung goalward and found the back of the net after deflecting off Thomas Beadling.

Western Sydney finished the match with 10 men when Adama Traore was shown a second yellow card in stoppage time.

But that was not the last bit of drama with Layouni stealing a point for the Wanderers in the 95th minute with a glorious goal.



Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.