Henriques on the mend after horror on-field clash



Australian cricketer Moises Henriques faces dental surgery and a further 24 hours in hospital but his teammate Rory Burns is close to being discharged following the pair’s on-field collision on Sunday.

Henriques and Burns were knocked unconscious as they collided while going for a catch in a Twenty20 match for Surrey against Sussex on England’s south coast on Sunday.

All-rounder Henriques broke his jaw in three places after he was struck by Burns’s knee. Burns sustained head and facial injuries.

Aussies bowl their way to Test victory in Jamaica
• Missed it by that much … Smith dismissed for 199

Both players needed oxygen treatment and three ambulances were called on to the outfield before the pair, who regained consciousness before leaving the ground and gave a thumbs-up sign to concerned spectators, were taken to St Richard’s Hospital in nearby Chichester for further assessment.

A Surrey statement issued Monday said both players were making a good recovery.

“Latest news on the two boys..Both Rory and Moises are in decent shape following their operations overnight … further updates later in the day”

Director of cricket Alec Stewart, the former Surrey and England wicketkeeper-batsman, posted a picture of Burns smiling in his hospital bed, alongside a member of medical staff giving a thumbs-up gesture.

Stewart subsequently said on his Twitter account that Burns would be discharged from hospital later on Monday, although Henriques would require further observation.

“More good news @roryburns17 will be leaving hospital this afternoon. @Mozzie21 (Henriques) will stay in for another 24 hours but is bearing up well,” Stewart said.

Henriques, who took an impressive 3-23 in his maximum four overs on Sunday before the accident, still faces dental surgery following the clash.

Umpires Alex Wharf and Jeremy Lloyds abandoned the match after the frightening clash, with Sussex 7-141 in the 19th over.

On social media, fans expressed the horror at the incident and wished both players a speedy recovery.

Sussex physiotherapist John Marrale, one of the first to attend to Burns and Henriques, said: “Both were unconscious after the collision.

“Henriques was caught by Burns’ knee and Burns had lacerations on the top of his head and below his eye.

“They were given oxygen and pain relief was administered by an intravenous drip before they went to hospital.”

Henriques, 28, has represented Australia 13 times across all three international formats, most recently in a one-dayer against England at Hobart in January.

Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.