Maroons triumph 18-10 in first game of Women’s State of Origin series

Maroons teammates celebrate Tazmin Gray's try on their way to victory in the Women's Origin opener.

Maroons teammates celebrate Tazmin Gray's try on their way to victory in the Women's Origin opener. Photo: AAP

Queensland is in the box seat to reclaim the Women’s State of Origin shield after recording a 18-10 win over defending champions New South Wales in the first game of the expanded two-match series.

Both sides were error-prone at Sydney’s CommBank Stadium on Thursday night in front of 12,972 fans – the biggest crowd for a women’s State of Origin game.

But Queensland’s composure in attack at close range helped them hold off the Sky Blues, who struggled to cope with a mid-game injury to captain Isabelle Kelly.

The win marked the first time since the NRLW’s inception that either Origin side had won in enemy territory. Now NSW will need to do the same in Townsville on June 22.

To retain the shield, the Sky Blues must win that game by nine points or more, per the points aggregation system implemented for the new two-match series.

Kelly copped Julia Robinson’s elbow in the throat as she attempted to tackle the Maroons winger just before halftime and fell to her haunches coughing up blood.

The game was inexplicably allowed to continue and, with the Blues down a player, the Maroons snatched the lead back through powerhouse forward Tazmin Gray and went into the sheds up 10-6.

Kelly needed the assistance of two trainers to leave the field and played no further part in the game, with second-rower Yasmin Clydsdale shifting to the centres.

The Blues never reclaimed the lead, despite finding their feet in attack later in the game.

Starting at lock, Maroons skipper Ali Brigginshaw scooted out of dummy-half and then passed to Tamika Upton, whose cut-out pass to Robinson down the short side allowed Queensland to open the scoring.

Robinson had her second after half-time as the Maroons stretched out.

A pre-match hamstring injury to Tiana Penitani had forced Jess Sergis onto the wing on game day but the Sydney Roosters superstar floated infield to help the Blues hit back.

She stepped past Brigginshaw and crashed through Upton for a try and could have had a second had she not collided into Upton as she attempted a chip-and-chase in the second half.

At 18 years and 109 days old, five-eighth Jesse Southwell broke Brad Fittler’s record to become NSW’s youngest-ever Origin player but took time warming into the game.

She threw an intercept pass to Shenae Ciesiolka that led directly to the Maroons’ third try just after the break and, along with NSW halfback Rachael Pearson, initially struggled to apply pressure with the boot.

But she combined with Emma Tonegato off a scrum play that helped Jaime Chapman score NSW’s second, and then forced a drop-out that had the Sky Blues in control.

NSW had left its run too late, though, and could not bridge the gap.

Blues forward Sarah Togatuki could consider herself lucky to avoid the sin bin after up-ending Keilee Joseph in a dangerous throw in the minutes before half-time.

Maroons centre Eviana Pelite left the field with an ankle injury late in the match and did not return.


Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.