Ange Postecoglou’s Celtic wins Glasgow derby 2-1 to extend league lead

Socceroo Tom Rogic has netted for Celtic in a crucial 2-1 comeback win over great rivals Rangers on Sunday.

Socceroo Tom Rogic has netted for Celtic in a crucial 2-1 comeback win over great rivals Rangers on Sunday. Photo: Getty

Ange Postecoglou and Tom Rogic have taken a potentially decisive step towards winning the Scottish Premiership with Celtic.

The two Australians were left celebrating at the home of their great rivals Rangers on Sunday after Socceroo Rogic scored in their 2-1 comeback win at Ibrox to open up a significant six-point gap at the top of the table.

With Celtic also holding a major advantage of 16 in goal difference, the victory could go a long way towards Postecoglou’s side taking the title off Rangers.

“I was really proud of the players. It’s a difficult place to come to and they got off to a great start,” Postecoglou said.

“In those kind of conditions everything’s in their favour, and it’s going to take a massive effort for us to turn it around.

“The one thing people have overlooked is a real steel to this team.

“We had to show that. Rangers were at it and the crowd was behind them.”

Former Socceroos boss Ange Postecoglou has transformed Celtic’s fortunes. Photo: Getty

Gers’ on-loan midfielder Aaron Ramsey scored just three minutes into his first Old Firm game with a close-range finish but midfielder Rogic levelled four minutes later.

Defender Cameron Carter-Vickers then had the 700 travelling fans in raptures when he fired the visitors ahead just before the interval with a goal that proved decisive.

With six fixtures remaining, including another Old Firm game at Parkhead – the two Glasgow giants also meet in the Scottish Cup semi-finals – Celtic is now hot favourites to take the title in Postecoglou’s first season at the helm.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s Rangers face Braga in the first leg of their Europa League quarter-final in Portugal on Thursday, but their domestic aspirations have suffered a huge blow.

Rangers burst out of the traps, Ramsey opening the scoring in the third minute when he knocked in a Ryan Kent cross.

But in the seventh minute after Gers keeper Allan McGregor had parried a 25-yard drive from Reo Hatate, Rogic – who had shrugged off a knock to play – returned the ball high into the net.

Celtic began to dominate and Rogic, who had a fine game, could have made it two when he fired over after a swift 25th-minute move.

Three minutes from the break, Rangers failed to clear a free kick from wide on the left and Carter-Vickers spun to drilled a left-foot shot low into the net.

The start of the second half was delayed as ground staff cleared glass from a broken bottle in the Celtic goalmouth.

Celtic had to soak up late pressure with Joe Hart making a fine 75th-minute save to deny a Sakala shot and it held on for a win that could prove decisive in the title run-in.


Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.