Advertisement

Judge urged not postpone Trump’s trial over documents

The are 11 new counts against Donald Trump and his associates, including forgery and racketeering.

The are 11 new counts against Donald Trump and his associates, including forgery and racketeering. Photo: AAP

The Justice Department has urged a judge to reject Donald Trump’s efforts to postpone his classified documents trial, saying there is no basis for an “open-ended” delay sought by his lawyers.

Federal prosecutors last month proposed a December 11 trial for Mr Trump, who is charged with 37 felony counts related to the mishandling of classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate

The actual date will be up to the judge.

Mr Trump’s lawyers countered this week with a request for a delay. They did not propose a specific date but said the case concerned novel legal issues, and proceeding with a trial within six months is “unreasonable” and would “result in a miscarriage of justice”.

On Thursday, prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team responded by asking US District Judge Aileen Cannon to not postpone the trial beyond the December date they recommended.

They rejected the idea that any of the legal arguments the defence intends to raise requires postponement of the trial, saying they’ve already produced grand jury transcripts and unclassified witness statements.

They said that in the next week, they will produce witness statements for interviews conducted through June 23, or two weeks after the indictment was returned.

Defence lawyers had also argued that Mr Trump’s busy campaign schedule for the 2024 Republican nomination needed to be taken into account in scheduling a trial. But prosecutors said that, too, was not a basis for an indefinite delay.

“Many indicted defendants have demanding jobs that require a considerable amount of their time and energy, or a significant amount of travel,” they wrote.

The Justice Department also disputed the suggestion that an impartial jury could not be selected before the presidential election.

“The Government readily acknowledges that jury selection here may merit additional protocols (such as a questionnaire) and may be more time-consuming than in other cases, but those are reasons to start the process sooner rather than later,” the prosecutors wrote.

– AAP

Topics: Donald Trump
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.