Advertisement

US friction with China over balloon saga grows

The US military has been adjusting how it examines radar data, allowing it to spot smaller objects.

The US military has been adjusting how it examines radar data, allowing it to spot smaller objects. Photo: AAP

The United States says it still does not know the origin or purpose of three aerial objects that its military shot down over the weekend, as Washington and Beijing traded accusations about high-altitude balloons.

The saga began with a suspected Chinese spy balloon that drifted across the United States and was shot down by the US military off the coast of South Carolina on February 4.

Since then, US fighter jets have downed three more mysterious objects over North American airspace starting on Friday.

“We have not yet been able to definitively assess what these most recent objects are,” White House national security spokesman John Kirby said at a news briefing on Monday.

US military fighter jets on Sunday downed an octagonal object over Lake Huron, the Pentagon said. On Friday, an object was shot down over sea ice near Deadhorse, Alaska, and a third, cylindrical in shape, was destroyed over Canada’s Yukon on Saturday.

The debris from the items, which has not been found, should “tell us a lot,” Mr Kirby said.

The objects, flying at altitudes of between 20,000 and 40,000 feet, were considered a risk to air traffic, he said, although they did not pose a threat to people on the ground. They also were shot down because US authorities could not rule out that they were spying, he said.

Closer scrutiny of airspace may partially explain why so many new objects have been found. US officials told Reuters that the military has been adjusting how it examines radar data, allowing it to spot smaller, slower-moving items.

China said it had no information about any of the three objects. Washington called the first object, the Chinese craft, a surveillance balloon while China has insisted it was a weather-monitoring vessel blown badly off course.

The Chinese balloon triggered an uproar in Washington, shaking up the already contentious relationship between the world’s two biggest economies and prompting President Joe Biden’s top diplomat, Antony Blinken, to cancel his scheduled trip to Beijing last week.

China on Monday widened its dispute with the US over aerial surveillance, claiming that US high-altitude balloons had flown over its airspace without permission more than 10 times since the beginning of 2022. The White House denied the assertion.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said the alleged US balloon flights last year were illegal but did not describe the balloons as military or for espionage purposes.

At Friday’s White House briefing, Mr Kirby said: “There is no US surveillance aircraft in Chinese airspace. I’m not aware of any other craft that we’re flying over into Chinese airspace.”

When pressed whether any US craft was being used over Chinese-claimed airspace in Taiwan and the South China Sea, he declined to specify further.

China asserts numerous disputed territorial claims, including in waters in the East and South China Seas, where the US military says it routinely operates according to international law.

The White House, which has tried to tamp down rhetoric around China following the balloon incident, took a noticeably sharper tone on Monday.

“This is the latest example of China scrambling to do damage control,” Adrienne Watson, another White House national security spokesman, said in a statement.

“It has repeatedly and wrongly claimed the surveillance balloon it sent over the United States was a weather balloon and to this day has failed to offer any credible explanations for its intrusion into our airspace and the airspace of others.”

Asked if the balloon incident and Beijing’s response had set back US-China relations, Mr Kirby said during his briefing: “It has certainly not helped us move forward in the way that we wanted to move.”

– AAP

Advertisement
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.