Advertisement

Teenage boy killed in London sword attack

Forensic officers work the crime scene in Hainault, east London.

Forensic officers work the crime scene in Hainault, east London. Photo: Getty

A sword-wielding man has gone on a terrifying rampage in a London neighbourhood, killing a 14-year-old boy and injuring four others.

The man was filmed prowling the streets of Hainault in east London, brandishing what appeared to be a samurai-style sword.

In various footage he is seen pacing back and forth, crouching outside a home, entering gardens and clambering over rooftops in a bid to evade police.

Police were called to the scene about 7am Tuesday (UK time) with reports of a vehicle driven into a house.

The man reportedly stabbed people at that property before heading out to attack others, including two police.

The 36-year-old suspect was eventually tasered and arrested.

The man brandished a sword has he prowled the streets and attacked people. Photo: X

Video footage shows officers shouting at the attacker, saying “Don’t move, don’t f—ing move”, after he is brought to the ground by three taser discharges.

Footage then shows seven officers swarm around him, with three brandishing truncheons and the two officers with tasers still pointing them at him.

The words “suspect contained” are then heard as a female officer pulls the sword away from the man.

The man is then told “you are under arrest for murder” just over a minute after officers attempted to apprehend him.

One teenage boy died from his injuries. Two other people and two police officers were in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The two police officers had stab wounds that required surgery.

“It is with great sadness that I confirm one of those injured, a 14-year-old boy, has died,” London’s Metropolitan Police Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell said.

“He was taken to hospital after being stabbed and sadly died shortly afterwards.”

Police said they did not believe the incident was a targeted attack or terrorism-related and there was no ongoing threat to the wider community.

An aerial view of the crime scene in suburban east London. Photo: Getty

London’s Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Louisa Rolfe said a 36-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of murder. He was in hospital, having been injured when his van collided with a building.

The King paid tribute to those affected and praised the courage of the emergencies services that helped to contain the incident.

“His thoughts and prayers are with all those affected – in particular, the family of the young victim who has lost his life,” a Buckingham Palace representative said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.