Advertisement

Bushfire threats downgraded but WA counts the cost

Properties destroyed by fire in Perth's north

10 News First – Disclaimer

Bushfires burning across Western Australia have all been downgraded as Premier Roger Cook thanked first responders for their efforts.

An emergency warning had been issued on Sunday for a fire burning at Kwolyin and Pantapin in the shire of Bruce Rock.

Another fire in the same shire closer to the coast had been burning at a watch and act level.

Both were downgraded later on Sunday to fire alerts, ending a horror week for the state with homes and other buildings destroyed.

Authorities said 70 fires were still burning at some level across WA.

Cook said while the Bruce Rock fire was contained, it was not fully controlled.

“Despite the winds and scorching conditions, there have been no flare-ups,” he said.

Cook said fire chiefs hoped the blaze would be controlled later on Sunday.

Across the current fires, 18 houses have been destroyed, another five damaged and 34 structures such as sheds, impacted.

Cook said everyone who had lost property had been contacted by government agencies.

Federal Emergency Management Minister Murray Watt has flagged disaster recovery assistance – jointly funded by the federal and WA governments – will be made available to those affected.

After days of scorching temperatures, Perth is in for some much-needed relief. While the mercury hit 38.6 degrees on Sunday, a top temperature of just 25 degrees is expected on Monday.

-AAP

Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.