Man charged with murder over disappearance of Tasmanian teenager

Shyanne-lee was remembered at her funeral as energetic and someone who loved to sing and dance.

Shyanne-lee was remembered at her funeral as energetic and someone who loved to sing and dance. Photo: AAP

(Updated 5.34pm)

A man has been charged with murder after the discovery of remains believed to belong to missing 14-year-old Shyanne-Lee Tatnell in Tasmanian bushland.

The 36-year-old from the rural town of Scottsdale was arrested on Thursday, following a large-scale search of nearby Nabowla a day earlier.

He was remanded in custody and is expected to appear in Launceston Magistrates Court on Friday.

Tasmania Police earlier confirmed remains found on a bush track at Nabowla were human and likely belonged to Shyanne-Lee, who was last seen in Launceston on the night of April 30.

Northern district commander Kate Chambers said her heart was with the community.

“We will not rest until we have answers. This latest development is hopefully another step toward having those answers,” she said.

“Our investigators and all those involved in this process so far have worked tirelessly to try and find closure for Shyanne-Lee’s family and her loved ones.

“We will continue those efforts until we are satisfied we have provided that closure.”

Forensic testing on the remains could take one week.

Commander Chambers said a number of items had been seized during searches over the past two months.

Police searched a property at Scottsdale after declaring it a crime scene and have previously said a “specific line” of inquiry was being followed.

Police launched a large-scale search at Nabowla on Wednesday, involving 180 people including helicopter crews and mounted search-and-rescue volunteers.

They earlier declared a crime scene where the remains were found, as well as at a property at Scottsdale.

Investigators previously said they were exploring the possibility of criminal elements being involved in Shyanne-Lee’s disappearance.

She was last sighted on CCTV near the North Esk River in Launceston, about 50 kilometres south-west of Nabowla.

Thorough searches of the river area failed to uncover any trace of the teenager, who had been staying in youth accommodation for the two weeks before her disappearance.

She was on her way to visit a friend at nearby Ravenswood when she went missing.


Topics: Tasmania
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.