Advertisement

Stabbed Service NSW worker in intensive care

The injured worker was in a critical condition on Friday.

The injured worker was in a critical condition on Friday. Photo: Seven Network

A man has been charged after an unprovoked attack at a customer service centre in Sydney’s CBD left a NSW public servant in intensive care.

The 54-year-old worker suffered lower back, chest and shoulder wounds during the attack at Haymarket about 9.20am on Friday.

His alleged attacker, who was “well known” to police, entered the Service NSW centre, had a short conversation with the male employee and then produced a bladed knife without provocation, police said.

“Police rendered first aid before [the worker] was treated on scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics,” NSW Police said.

The injured man was later transported to St Vincent’s Hospital in a critical but stable condition.

Customer Service Department secretary Emma Hogan said the employee had surgery on Friday. He remained in intensive care.

“His family are with him, and we are in touch with them offering our full support,” an emotional Ms Hogan said.

She thanked emergency responders and customers for their cooperation and help.

“What happened at our Haymarket Service NSW centre today is awful and very upsetting,” she said.

“Our frontline staff come to work every day to help customers, and those same staff deserve to go home safely.”

The stabbed man’s colleagues detained the 37-year-old man from south-west Sydney, before he was taken from the scene by police.

Detective Superintendent Martin Fileman said the man underwent a medical assessment and was “extremely well known to police”.

Police said later on Friday the man had been charged with wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He was refused bail, and will appear in Parramatta Local Court on Saturday.

Forensic police were later seen closely examining the building, which will be closed for the weekend.

NSW Premier Chris Minns described the attack as horrifying.

“The thoughts of our government and our state are with this worker and their family at what is no doubt a very difficult time,” he tweeted.

Opposition Leader Mark Speakman said he was shocked by the stabbing attack on a frontline worker.

“Nobody deserves to be harmed while doing their job serving the public,” he tweeted on Friday afternoon.

“Thank you to the first responders who provided assistance. Wishing for a quick recovery.”

-with AAP

Topics: NSW
Advertisement
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.