A Sydney icon has been named Tripadvisor’s top tourist attraction for the South Pacific, followed by a surprising West Australian gem.
After analysing 12 months worth of data, Tripadvisor can reveal the best of the best things to do in its 2023 Traveller’s Choice Awards.
Of the best tourist attractions in the South Pacific, the Sydney Opera House came in at number one. However, it wasn’t the only attraction in Sydney that made the list.
Sydney Harbour sits at number three on the list, while the Sydney Harbour Bridge is at number five.
Also in the top three is Perth’s Kings Park and Botanic Gardens at number two. Royal Botanical Garden Victoria in Melbourne also made the top ten, coming in at number seven.
The Sydney Opera House is arguably one of Australia’s most iconic landmarks.
Tripadvisor’s Top Ten Attractions in the South Pacific:
- Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
- Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Perth, Australia
- Sydney Harbour, Sydney, Australia
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington, New Zealand
- Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney, Australia
- South Bank Parklands, Brisbane, Australia
- Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
- Mount Wellington, Hobart, Australia
- Convict Penitentiary Chapel Historic Site, Hobart, Australia
- Redwoods, Whakarewarewa Forest, Rotorua, New Zealand
Tripadvisor also ranked the best attractions in the world, however, no Australians sites made the cut.
Basílica de la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain was ranked as the best attraction in the world, followed by the Colosseum in Rome, Italy.
The house where Anne Frank hid in The Netherlands came in at number three, followed by the Dubai Fountain in Dubai and the Empire State Building in New York City.
At number six was Musée d’Orsay and at number seven, the Eiffel Tower, both in Paris France.
Another Rome hotspot made the list, the Trevi Fountain came in at number eight and was followed by Central Park in New York City and Plaza de Espana in Seville, Spain.
The Eiffel Tower made it into the top ten for global attractions.
Best experiences in the South Pacific
Of the South Pacific, New Zealand topped the ‘experiences’ category.
Ziplining Forest Adventure – The Original Canopy Tour Rotorua, Rotarua, New Zealand came in at number one, while ABC Snorkel Charters Port Douglas in Queensland came in second.
Snorkelling Excursion, Discovery of the Lagoon and its Fauna in Moorea, French Polynesia came in at number three.
A few other worthwhile experiences from Australia included a wine adventure in Western Australia’s Margaret River and a swim with whale sharks on the state’s Ningaloo Reef.
Tripadvisor’s top ten experiences in the South Pacific
- Ziplining Forest Adventure – The Original Canopy Tour Rotorua, Rotarua, New Zealand
- ABC Snorkel Charters Port Douglas, Port Douglas, Australia
- Snorkelling excursion, discovery of the lagoon and its fauna, Moorea, French Polynesia
- Margaret River Wine Adventure, Margaret River, Australia
- Swim with Whale Sharks in the Ningaloo Reef, Exmouth, Australia
- Full Day Lagoon Group Tour in Bora Bora, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Nocturnal adventure Glow-worm tour, Rotorua, New Zealand
- White Water Rafting – Kaituna Cascades, Okere Falls, New Zealand
- Full-Day 1770 Tour by LARC Amphibious Vehicle, Seventeen Seventy, Australia
- Three-Quarter Day Hervey Bay Premium Whale Watching Cruise, Hervey Bay, Australia