Advertisement

Murder charges on the way after three bodies found

Police are expected to charge a male martial arts instructor with three counts of murder after the grisly discovery of a family’s bodies in multiple locations around Sydney on Tuesday.

Kwang Kyung Yoo, 49, was arrested in relation to the shock discovery on Tuesday night, and police will allege he subjected the three victims to an assault with “murderous intent” before the trio died of their injuries.

Multiple reports said that two of the victims – 41-year-old Min Cho and her seven-year-old son – were allegedly strangled to death.

Steven and Min Cho (left) were found dead while taekwondo instructor Kwong Kyung Yoo had stab wounds when he presented to hospital. Police will charge Yoo. Photo: TND/Facebook

Cho’s husband and father of the seven-year-old, 39-year-old Steven Cho, was found dead at a home in Baulkham Hills in Sydney.

Police allege Cho and her son were allegedly murdered first at Yoo’s North Parramatta martial arts studio, before he allegedly drove to the Baulkham Hills address to confront Steven Cho.

Yoo, known as ‘Master Lion’ at the taekwondo studio, remains under arrest in hospital. He was arrested after presenting to Westmead Hospital with apparent stab and slash wounds, with it reported that he claimed he had been assaulted in a car park.

Homicide Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty confirmed police will allege he is responsible for the three killings.

“From the information we’ve received to date, we believe there’s enough evidence to place them under arrest and have charges pending for murder,” he said on Wednesday.

Police will allege he assaulted the woman and the child with “murderous intent” on Monday night, before driving her white BMW to Baulkham Hills and fatally stabbing the father of the child.

He then drove himself to hospital, where he was placed under arrest following the discovery of the three bodies.

All parties were originally from South Korea and the consulate is assisting police, Doherty said.

Doherty told reporters the dead man and woman were the married parents of the killed child.

The child regularly attended the taekwondo studio for lessons, where the 49-year-old man was an instructor, Doherty said.

“We’re still establishing what other connections or what other relationships may have been or may not have been,” Det Supt Doherty said, describing Tuesday’s discoveries as a “tragic turn of events”.

“Three people from one family, it’s devastating, it’s been a harrowing experience for the family and friends of the three victims, they’re still dealing with this so I’m not going to speculate on any motive at this stage,” he said.

Doherty sought further assistance from the public and encouraged anyone in the vicinity of the taekwondo studio on Monday night who may have seen or heard something to contact investigators.

Reports emerged on Tuesday morning that the adults involved in the incidents may have been involved in a love triangle.

“We are still establishing what other connections or what other relationships may have been or what not have been.

“There was no warnings, from what we have gathered so far. It was out of the blue. It wasn’t something that was forewarned or planned.”

– with AAP

Topics: Crime
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.