Two teenagers charged with attempted murder over tomahawk attack

Police have arrested two teenagers who had been on the run after a tomahawk attack near Brisbane.

Police have arrested two teenagers who had been on the run after a tomahawk attack near Brisbane. Photo: AAP/Qld Police

A “relentless” police search is over after two teenagers were charged with attempted murder following a tomahawk attack.

Denzel Hinch, 19, and 18-year-old Eliah Bligh are in custody after police said they spent weeks trying to locate the alleged offenders, using what they called “lawful harassment” during the search.

Police said Hinch and Bligh had been harboured by associates since an alleged October 18 tomahawk attack on a 68-year-old man.

The Toowoomba teens are accused of breaking into a Rockville home west of Brisbane last month and assaulting the man with the tomahawk, leaving him with serious injuries.

Police said three weeks later they attempted a carjacking.

A man was sitting in his car at Harlaxton on Monday when Hinch allegedly opened the vehicle door and threatened him.

Hinch is accused of hitting the man with the blunt end of a knife before the victim managed to drive away with minor injuries.

Moments later, Hinch and Bligh are accused of pulling up in a stolen car next to a couple who were changing a tyre by the side of the road at Harlaxton.

The two teens allegedly got out of the car and threatened the couple with a meat cleaver, a knife and an axe before demanding they hand over the keys.

The couple refused and the two teens left in the stolen car which was later abandoned, police said.

Bligh was arrested at a Harlaxton address soon afterwards.

Police said Hinch broke into a Toowoomba home later that day and assaulted a 46-year-old man with a piece of timber before being located by officers at a Wilsonton address.

Police released video footage of each arrest that appeared to show one teen hiding in a bedroom cupboard.

Acting Detective Inspector Heath McQueen said police had not stopped searching since the alleged October 18 assault.

“There were a number of occasions where we’d enter houses to apprehend them, but they’d been tipped off (by associates),” he told reporters on Tuesday.

“It’s been relentless.

“There has been no stone left unturned.”

He said police had employed a technique called lawful harassment during the search, accusing associates of helping the teens avoid detection.

McQueen said they were looking closely at whether they could charge anyone accused of harbouring the alleged offenders.

Hinch and Bligh have been charged with a number of offences including attempted murder.

Their matters were briefly mentioned in Toowoomba Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

Hinch’s matter was adjourned until Wednesday, with Bligh’s matter adjourned until January 23.


Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.