Advertisement

Five people plunge to death in Bali resort lift

A lift cable snapped at Ayuterra Resort, Bali, which is popular with Australian tourists.

A lift cable snapped at Ayuterra Resort, Bali, which is popular with Australian tourists. Photo: TND/X/Ayuterra Resort

Balinese authorities have assured tourists health and safety is being taken seriously after five people plunged 100 metres to their deaths in a resort lift.

A glass-encased elevator at the Ayuterra Resort in the popular Ubud mountain region plummeted down a shaft when its cable snapped, local media report.

Five hotel workers, aged between 19 and 24, were in the elevator when it dropped down a slope and crashed into a ravine.

Two of the staff died at the scene. The other three died later in hospital, according to reports.

The terrifying incident happened on Friday at the resort, which is popular with Australians and international visitors in the holiday spot of rice terraces and steep ravines.

The lift at the stylish and leafy getaway had been used to transport guests and employees up and down a steep slope.

Ubud police said preliminary investigations pointed to the lift being overloaded.

“It is possible that the steel cable was not strong enough to pull the load and the safety wedge or brake did not work,” said Ubud police chief commissioner Made Uder, according to Channel News Asia.

Bali’s Governor Wayan Koster said the tragedy was a reminder that tourism businesses should prioritise health and safety.

“Electronic technology should be routinely checked and audited for its suitability. My suspicion is that this has been left for too long,” he said according to a report in The Bali Sun.

Deputy Governor of Bali Cok Ace said: “This is the first time this has happened, and if we look at a glance, I saw the permits, especially regarding the use and safety of work, regarding the condition of the lift.

“From a routine inspection, one independent consultant said that in November 2022 (it was fine), and it has only been eight months since they stated that it is still [safe] so, of course, this will be included in the investigation.”

The resort has offered to pay compensation and cover the funerals of the victims. They have been named as Sang Putu Bayu Adi Krisna,19, I Wayan Aries Setiawan, 23, Ni Luh Supernigsih, 20, Kadek Hardiyanti, 24, and Kadek Yanti Pradewi, 19.

Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.