Advertisement

Donald Trump Jr calls off Australian tour, blaming late visa

A speaking tour of Australia by Donald Trump Jr has been cancelled.

A speaking tour of Australia by Donald Trump Jr has been cancelled. Photo: EPA

Donald Trump’s eldest son has postponed a speaking tour of Australia, with the organisers accusing authorities of “making it difficult for the Trumps”.

Donald Trump Jr was scheduled to speak in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane between July 9 and 11 as part of a “Trump Live” tour.

But ticket-holders were advised late Wednesday the event would not go ahead as planned, citing a delay in getting a visa for him to enter the country.

“The visa, which has now been issued, was only received late afternoon of Wednesday 5th July, only 24 hours before Donald Trump Jr was set to board a flight to Sydney,” Turning Point Australia said in a statement.

On Facebook, with the hashtag #CancelCulture, the group wrote: “It seems America isn’t the only country that makes it difficult for the Trumps.

“Announcement and more info coming soon about the postponement of the tour.

“Hold onto your tickets, this is a short delay nothing more.”

A spokesman for Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil said the government was not trying to prevent Mr Trump coming to Australia.

“It’s up to Donald Trump Jr whether or not he comes to Australia, but there is no immigration impediment to him coming here.”

The Daily Telegraph quoted government sources who said Mr Trump had applied for his visa only two weeks ago, but the organisers stated it was 30 days ago.

The group said 8000 tickets had already been sold across the three states, with all VIP tickets priced as a high as $2500 selling out in the first week of the tour announcement.

“Ticket-holders are urged to hold on to their tickets, with details of the rescheduled date to be confirmed in the coming days,” Turning Point Australia said in a post to the tour website.

The website said Mr Trump’s “fearlessly outspoken, anti-politically correct stance has captured the imagination of conservatives from around the world”.

South Australian Liberal Senator Alex Antic, who was to MC the speaking tour, was quoted in the organisers’ statement saying he was disappointed but not surprised by the postponement.

“I’m looking forward to the show getting new dates. Aussies want to hear from conservative warriors like these guys,” he said.

The tour change received a mixed response on the organisers’ Facebook page.

Judith Beshel wrote: “Um, the Trumps make it difficult for the Trumps. period. They ain’t no victims.”

Alf Akau joked that there was an ulterior reason for the postponement.

“His visa was approved. He cancelled because you couldn’t sell tickets,” he wrote.

But Angela Marie wrote: “Why is this not surprising? Looking forward to this upcoming event even more now. #lovetrump.”

Lisa Walsh said she was a “bit excited”.

“Good, hopefully he will now attract twice as many people. Hope it’s not too far away.”

No future dates have yet been given for Mr Trump’s visit.

-AAP

Advertisement
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2024 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.